SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION MONTH
Dreamcatcher – Suicide Prevention PSA
We just had the successful completion of the 2018 Intertribal Youth Suicide Prevention Summit at Port Gamble S’Klallam Tribe!
Primary funding for this project is provided by the Washington State Department of Health. However, the Youth Suicide Prevention Summit 2018 could not have happened without the support and contributions of the speakers, attendees, sponsors, tribes, organizations, volunteers and drawing donors. Thank you!
Click to view the Suicide Prevention Presentation at Action Alliance 9-6-18
Know the Warning Signs
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, like searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention
Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
Tribal Health – Reaching out InVolves Everyone (THRIVE) works to reduce suicide rates among American Indian and Alaska Natives living in the Pacific Northwest by increasing tribal capacity to prevent suicide and by improving regional collaborations. Staff provide programmatic technical assistance, suicide prevention training and resources to the Northwest Tribes
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
OSPI provides resources and support through the School Safety Center to help inform Educational Service Districts, School Districts, and Schools in the development of Suicide Prevention Plans.
Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention
WA State Department of Health
Beginning July 1, 2017, healthcare professionals required to complete a suicide prevention training must select a course from the 2017 Model List. See the training requirements for health professional time and content requirements.